Canadian Music Week (and/or Fest) is over, and it’s sort of odd that the kind of high caliber shows I wish I had seen as part of last week are in town now. Take San Francisco by way of Ottawa lo-fi Queen of Burger Records, Peach Kelli Pop at the Magpie Taproom on Saturday, for instance. Okay, that might not be everyone’s idea of high caliber but at the least it would have been refreshing to have seen at the 31-year-old entity.
Speaking of CMW, I am so glad it’s over. My eyes are tired from cigarette smoke, and constant eye-rolling. My liver is probably happy it’s over. A steady diet of free meat and beer sounds like a good time, but a week straight and it can bring you down. It’s the start of music festival season and my co-pilot and I had to navigate a lot of dung-heaps this past week, but we eventually made it to desirable destinations. There’s talent out there and I was lucky to get to do what I love – photograph and film people who can carry a tune, write lyrics and play an instrument (all things I teenage-diary-wish I could do), I just don’t know if the people who oversee CMW’s programing know it when they see it.
Requisite (and deserved) CMW bashing out of the way, let’s dig into the best art, music, cinema and whatever events happening this weekend. Have a good one, pals.
Rhyme, Reason, Or Otherwise
– Award winning play by Newborn Theatre’s Artistic Director Rachel Ganz, directed byJeremy Hutton. Hart House (7 Hart House Circle, U of T Campus) – 8PM – $15 Regular/$12 Students
– w/ Sheer Agony, Bernice, DJ sets by Slim Twig & Daniel Vila. Double Double Land (209 Augusta) – 9PM – $8
What I Love About Being Queer
– It start was a film about the positive aspects of being queer, and evolved into a blog, and is now a book. Videofag (187 Augusta) – 7PM – Free
– Neil Harrison’s MFA Thesis Exhibition Opening Reception. Beaver Hall Gallery (29 McCaul) 7-10PM – Free
– Opening reception for a joint exhibition from Tyler Armstrong & Nils Blondon. Love/Lust, Pleasure/Pain, Joy/Distruction. Art Bar @ Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen St W) – 7-10PM – Free
– Free show. Drake Lounge (1150 Queen St W) – 11PM – Free
– The real King of Sackville, Shotgun Jimmie’s album release party featuring his pals Baby Eagle, Gregory Pepper & His Problems, and Dave Schoonderbeek. Monarch Tavern (12 Clinton) – 9PM – $7 in adv. at TicketFly.com/$10 at the door
– One half of Three 6 Mafia is ready to bring it down slathered in tangy Southern licks at Guvernment (132 Queen St E) – 10PM – $35/$50 VIP
– Opening reception for Turner Wigginton’s visualizations of sound that explore the technical aspects of photography. Lomography Gallery Store (536 Queen St W) – 6-10Pm – Free
Your Box Club
– YBC provieds the essential service of to-your-door delivery of organic and ethically produced period products. Join the club for tarot card readings, box humor and good vibes. Milk Glass Co. (1247 Dundas) – 9Pm – PWYC
– Benoit Pioulard w/ Foxes In Fiction. Drake Underground (1150 Queen St W) – 8PM – $8/$10
– Rising Toronto band Beliefs are heading out on mini tour of the US of A. Celebrate their travels and release of their self-titled Hand Drawn Dracula debut. The Garrison (1197 Dundas) – 9PM – $10
– The Undrummer, Send Christians, ATTALOOM & Defne. Album release for both The Undrummer & Send Christians. The Sister (1554 Queen St W) – 9PM – PWYC
– Atrial themed party, DJs bumpin’ space disco (hey, it’s a thing). Double Double Land (209 Augusta) – 11PM – PWYC
Peach Kelli Pop
– San Francisco via Ottawa Burger Records cutie-pie Peach Kelli Pop shakes the Magpie with Toronto’s Non-Stop Girls and playing their first show, Your Girlfriend. Magpie Taproom (831 Dundad) – 9PM – $8 (or PWYC)
– Billed as Toronto’s finest Fleetwood Mac cover band (of the numerous?) enjoy fever-pitch recreations of the biggest hits. Melody BAr @ Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen St W) – 9-11PM – Free
The Dude’s Passover
– Bloor Hot Docs presents a very Lebowski Shabbos. (506 Bloor) – 9:30PM – $20
– Suzy Wilde video premiere and Patrick Grant album release party – Clinton’s (693 Bloor) – 9PM – Free
Waka Flocka Flame
– Atlanta crunk, anti-witch haus, smoke and ride, brick squad, so icy, dirty rap.The Phoenix (410 Sherbourne) – 8PM – $45
Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!
– Sonic Boom and Mill St. (what? okay) present wreslin’ at the El Mo (464 Spadina) – 2:30PM – $15
– Vancouver’s prolific dreampop producer brings his solo chillwaves to the Drake (1150 Queen St W)
– w/ The Bronx, Polar Bear Club. Kool Haus (132 Queen’s Quay E) – 8PM – $30