“The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention.”
1. An orangutan tried to have sex with Julia Roberts on the set of the PBS production of In The Wild: Orangutan’s With Julia Roberts but was prevented by the film crew.
2. Seal had Lupus. Hence the scars.
3. While in France, the great German general Erwin Rommel repeatedly refused to send the Jewish population to concentration camps, and sent personal letters protesting their treatment.
4. Other proposed names for Canada included “Albion”, “Borealia”, “Cabotia” (for John Cabot), “Mesopelagia”, “Ursalia”, “Victorialand”, and my personal favourite, “Superior”.
5. Nintendo’s Kirby was originally a placeholder, to stand in until the real character was finished.
7. The Andromeda galaxy is eight times the size of the moon in the night sky. It’s just very difficult for the human eye to make out.
8. Yes, there are many quotes by Einstein saying he didn’t believe in the God of the Bible. But there are also many explaining why he wasn’t an atheist as well. In fact, Einstein was sworn agnostic and even stated, regarding atheists: “what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.”
9. CTRL+PGUP/PGDN will switch between tabs in a browser.
10. Only 11% of the land in the Dominion is privately owned.
11. The country with the most Japanese people outside of Japan is Brazil.
12. CTRL+backspace deletes an entire word at a time. Be careful with your newfound superhacking powers.
13. One of our Great Films, 1928’s The Passion of Joan of Arc, was considered lost until 1981, when a copy was unearthed in a janitor’s closet of a Norwegian mental home.
14. Not a single cigarette is smoked in the film Thank You For Smoking.
15. The Simpsons producers have a special contract that allows them to write the show without interference from higher ups. This is why they can poke fun at Fox.
16. “Free range” means an animal has access to the outdoors, but the law covers neither the size of the pen nor the amount of time it is available to the animals. In short, it’s chicken poop.
17. Smoking increases the liver enzyme cytochrome-p450, causing caffeine to be metabolized faster. Thus smokers need to drink more caffeine than God’s Little Angels to achieve the same effect.
18. And the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album goes to… Steve Martin!
19. The celebration of Christmas in England was close to dying out before Victorian times, and its resurgence largely came about thanks to Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.
20. The assistant director of The Passion of the Christ was hit by lightning while filming. Twice. So was actor Jim Caviezel, while filming the Sermon on the Mount scene. If that doesn’t make you a true believer, nothing will.
Adam will return with more trivia next Wednesday!
Until then, there’s always the [Hump Day Trivia Archives]