A round up of the best/weirdest things to do this weekend in Toronto…
Friday February 3rd
Blurring the lines between abstract and representational painting, Toronto artist Anders Oinonen will have this first solo showing, People People, at the newly reworked Cooper Cole gallery (1161 Dundas St W). At once intense and gradated colours show anthropomorphic landscapes, Oinonen’s works pull the viewer in, drawn initially to the colour fields, where with time facial features reveal themselves. Oinonen holds a Masters in Fine Art and has exhibited in galleries and museums across North America. His work is in the collections of the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal and the Canada Council Art Bank.
Opening reception will be held on Friday from 6 – 10PM, the show runs until the 26th.
– Johnny Dowd at the Silver Dollar Room
– Juicy J at the Opera House
– Young Empires at Horseshoe
– Christian D and the Hangover w/The Blue Demons and Aunt Beazy at Sneaky Dee’s
– Scissors at Bar Neon
– Armenian Youth Festival
– Keep in Touch Valentines Party at Augusta House
– Lynzie Kent’s “Something Wild” CD Release Party
– Screening The Ponzi Scheme at the Projection Booth
Saturday February 4th
With the Constantines on hiatus lead vocalist/guitarist Bry Webb has released a solo album, Provider, this past November, done a duet with Feist on her latest album Metals, as well as continued work with the Harbourcoats.
Webb will be playing two shows at the Music Gallery this Saturday with Wyrd Visions, a 7PM show and a 9:30PM show.
– the Cab and the Summerset at the Mod Club
– Fashawn at the Rivoli
– Juno concert series at the Horseshoe
– This Will Destroy You at Lee’s Palace
– Toronto Roller Derby at Downsview
– Sonorous & Ritual Present Audio at the Basement
– CaribbeanTales Youth Film Festival
– Sneak Peek Orchestra “Dreams of Flying “ at St. Gabriel’s Passionist Parish
– inBetween 80’s Dance Party at Disgraceland
– Scientists of Sound and Tupperware Remix Party at the Garrison
– Free Yoga and Relaxation Class in the Distillery District
Sunday February 5th
– Schubertiad: The Composer Contemplates & Twitters
– Big Screen, Big Game! at the Projection Booth
– GANTZ – film screening at Japanese-Canadian Cultural Center
– Love & Rummage Trunk Show 4 at the Workroom
– Web research skills for activists and independent journalists
– Darcy Michael at The Flying Beaver Pubaret
– Some girl’s 24th birthday party
For more events, check out our [Events Calendar]!
Yuli’s PP [Artist Profile]