“Right now a lot of people are still choosing to go to Toronto instead of shooting in New York City, something I haven’t done and something I hope I’ll never have to do. “
1. Apple has had no philanthropic activities in 14 years – a rarity for large corporations.
2. The US average ratio of deaf people is one out of every 5728. However, because of genetics, for a long time on Martha’s Vineyard it was 1 out of 155. The local sign language became so widely used people even used it when no deaf people were present, and the common barriers they face in society disappeared.
3. Eating less than an hour before swimming does not increase the risk of experiencing muscle cramps or drowning. One study shows a correlation between alcohol consumption and drowning, but there is no evidence for a correlation of stomach cramps and the consumption of food.
4. Dr Suess’s editor made a bet with him that he couldn’t write a good children’s book with less than fifty words. And Green Eggs and Ham was born.
5. The girl running from a Napalm attack in [this] (WARNING: MILDLY DISTURBING) famous photo now lives in Ajax.
6. In 1938 Hitler requested many countries to take in the Jews. Most Western countries took part in the resulting conference, and their answer was a firm “no.”
7. Remember Coolio? In Feb 2009 he did a stage dive during a concert. Nobody caught him. As he lay on the ground people stole his chains and clothes.
8. Dr Phil is currently on his second marriage. His first wife claimed he was too domineering and forced her to lift weights to improve her bustline.
9. From 1867 to 1927, New Zealand built huts on remote islands and filled them with supplies for possible shipwreck survivors.
10. When given a report on Paris Hilton’s release from jail, MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski refused to read it on air. She instead decided to burn it and had to be physically restrained.
11. 5-10% of cancer caes are scientifically attributed to genetics, 90-95% to environmental factors.
12. Winnipeg is the slurpee capital of the world, consuming more per capita than any other city.
13. Homosexuality was illegal in Canada in the 50s and 60s, and the RCMP had a secret test to identify gays. Its name was Fruit Machine.
14. “You talkin’ to me?” The script for this scene in Taxi Driver just said, “Travis looks in the mirror”. The lines were improvised. Now I know why Scorsese made so many films with DeNiro.
(Via jonthor6 on Flickr)
15. “Dude” dates from the 1880s and meant “man in high society”.
16. Recent research has shown the bowhead whale may live to 150-200 years old. In 2007, a specimen was caught which contained in its blubber a harpoon manufactured around 1890.
17. The Persian emissary in the film “300” is now the MP representing Jean-Le Ber.
18. Indian Railways is the largest employer in the world, with more than 1.6 million employees.
19. Hemingway wrote his novels standing.
20. The largest minefield in the Western Hemisphere is in Guantanamo Bay.
Adam’s trivia appears on PP every Wednesday!
You can read Adam’s other posts on PP [here]